Monday, July 22, 2013

Honest reviews

This weekend I decided to try something new. I received an offer to review a book not yet published from one of my friends on Goodreads and decided to give it a shot. Now, I know how that works where authors get reviews and their books are not even out yet. I saw several comments about authors getting reviews and their book was not published yet and wanted to see how it works so I did. I have yet to write the review but will this week, the author Joshua Lisec asked if I could get it posted on amazon by July 31 and I will. The publisher sent me the first three chapters in PDF form for me to review along with the usual advertisements pushing the book.
My wife and I sat down facing the computer screen and read the chapters together. I wanted her input as well since she reads a couple of books a day being an avid reader like me but since I spend a lot of time writing, I don't get to read as much. I found the story grabbing me from the start as Joshua described in detail with such accuracy that you could have been right there seeing things unfold in front of you. He made you feel right there and the story is a good one or at least perked our interest enough to want to buy it when it comes out. His writing style reminds me of Half-light's writing style on Figment where she is able to make you see what the characters see and feel like you are right there with them. Kate is an excellent writer with very good word descriptions and will be a great writer when she publishes her work. The Phoenix Reich by Joshua Lisec is a very good mystery book, he sets the stage for a very intriguing story that is feasible. Get your copy when it comes out if you love mysteries!
 Reading the two of them's work, I see what some of my writing is missing. More descriptive writing components so the reader sees what I'm seeing in my mind when I write. That is why Stephen King says to read, read and read to become a better writer. Talk back, I'm Listening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment